The Neurology department provides a specialist (tertiary) service for the diagnosis and treatment of children from the newborn period up until 16 years, with neurological disorders. The service is provided for children with the following disorders:
- Neurocutaneous syndromes
- Headache and migraine
- Head Injury
- Neuropsychiatric Disorders
- Neuromuscular Disorders
- Central Nervous System Disorders
- Neurodegenerative and Neurometabolic Disorders
Information for parents/carers
Children under the care of the neurology team may be seen in a variety of settings including inpatient paediatric wards or as an outpatient in consultant led clinics. Children may also be seen in a nurse led clinic by one of our clinical nurse specialists.
The epilepsy telephone line is open Monday-Fridays 9-5pm for all non-emergency related queries: 020 35940397
The neurology team work closely with many other services that your child may be in contact with such as:
- Neurophysiology for EEG investigations
- Neuroimaging – MRI/CT
- Paediatric Liaison Team – Help you and your child understand their diagnosis.
- Play specialists – Who can prepare your child for an investigation/procedure using distraction and play and are accessible in inpatient and outpatient settings.
- Video Telemetry – prolonged EEG monitoring in an inpatient setting.
Information for professionals
We accept referrals from GPs fulfilling criteria for tertiary service need. For routine neurological problems such as non-complex epilepsy, non-complex headache please refer to the general paediatricians.
Please contact the on call neurology consultant through the hospital switchboard 020 34165000 for urgent referral/advice. We accept Paediatricians’ and subspecialists’ referrals.
Department of Paediatric Neurology
The Royal London Hospital
London E1 1BB
Main Switchboard: 0203 416 5000
- Appointments: 0203 594 1358
- Fax: 0203 59 43267
- Secretary: 0203 594 2476
Meet the team
- Dr Maha Awadalla – Consultant Paediatric Neurologist and Clinical Lead. Special interest in Epilepsy
- Dr Louise Hartley- Consultant Paediatric Neurologist and neuromuscular diseases (joining in November 2017)
- Dr DeviaSumathy Muthogovinden- Locum Consultant Paediatric Neurologist
- Dr Arpana Silwal- Locum Consultant Paediatric Neurology
Neurology Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Post Vacant
Epilepsy Clinical Nurse Specialists
- Lynn Keen – 02035940397
- Sidhra Mohiuddin – 02035940397
- Ali Awil – Assistant Service Manager for Neurology
- Andrea Richards – Neurology/Epilepsy Secretary - 02035942476
The Epilepsy Society
Helpline: 0808 800 5050
Child Brain Injury Trust
Helpline: 0845 6014939