Rheumatology at Whipps Cross
We are a dedicated team at Whipps Cross University Hospital which provides the following services to children under the age of 16:
- Screen, diagnose and manage suspected rheumatic or non-surgical musculoskeletal conditions.
- Refer complicated cases to the tertiary rheumatology centre at Great Ormond Street Hospital.
- Share responsibility for the care of children with rheumatic or autoimmune conditions with the specialist rheumatology team at Great Ormond Street Hospital.
- Deliver multi-disciplinary care to children with musculoskeletal conditions, and liaise with other health professionals, including physiotherapists, occupational therapists, ophthalmologists, children’s community nurses and psychologists.
- Prescribe and monitor immunosuppressant therapy.
The service is based at Whipps Cross University Hospital. The paediatric outpatient department is a dedicated area for children and adolescents under the age of 16. It is staffed by paediatric nurses.
Information for parents/carers
Referrals from GPs will be triaged by an experienced consultant to one of the paediatric clinics. If the problem referred is likely to be a rheumatic or non-surgical musculoskeletal condition, the patient will be given an appointment for Dr. Ho’s or Dr. Gabr’s general paediatric clinic. If the condition is a musculoskeletal problem and requires long-term follow up, the patient will be seen in Dr. Ho’s musculoskeletal clinic.
The musculoskeletal team provides multi-disciplinary care and support to children with rheumatic and non-surgical musculoskeletal conditions. The team consists of two paediatricians (Dr. Ho and Dr. Gabr), a paediatric physiotherapist, a pharmacist, and a children’s community nurse. The team will liaise with clinical psychologists and occupational therapists when required.
The team also works very closely with specialist paediatric rheumatologists at Great Ormond Street Hospital. The local team will liaise with the specialists and share the care of children with complex rheumatic conditions.
Information for professionals
This team accepts referrals from GPs and other clinicians within Barts Health. Please send a referral letter to the Paediatric Department at Whipps Cross University Hospital.
The cut-off age for this paediatrics service is 16. If the patient is likely to be 16 years old at the time of consultation, please refer them to the adult rheumatology service.