Every child and young person attending mainstream school or a Pupil Referral Unit (PRU) in Tower Hamlets has a named school nurse who works as part of the skill-mixed school health team to support the health and wellbeing of children and young people aged five to 19 years.
Our service is based at Mile End Hospital - we look after schools in Tower Hamlets and often operate from each school.
Our School Health Team is formed of school nurses, school health advisors, child health nursery nurses and admin support workers. The team works in partnership with children, young people, their families and school staff on issues such as:
- supporting children and young people in school who have a long term health conditions
- health education for school staff
- giving support to parents, children/young people and school staff where children are regularly absent from school due to illness
- providing support for families to access their GP services
- emotional health and wellbeing
- oral hygiene
- healthy eating, exercise and weight management
- alcohol and drug misuse
Information for professionals
Referrals made to the School Health Team by schools, parents or a young person should be made using the school health referral form. The routine services offered by the team are:
- National Childhood Measurement Programme for Reception and Year six (height and weight)
- Reception screening: vision and hearing
- Immunisations (HPV for year eight girls and Diptheria, Tetanus and Polio for all students in year 10)
- Health care plans for children or young people with long term health conditions
- Transfer in Health Assessments for pupils who are new to the school from either out of borough or new into the country
- Health Assessments for those that are subject to a child protection plan or whom are vulnerable
- Hygiene and puberty sessions for years five, six and parents
- ‘Drop In’ Sessions for pupils inclusive of those with fifth forms on site.
- Health needs training for school staff
The School Health Team in partnership with other professionals offer health promotion sessions on a variety of topics including healthy eating, minor ailments and oral health.