Speech and language therapy
The Acute Paediatric Speech and Language Therapy (SLT) service is based at The Royal London Children’s Hospital. We provide inpatient services to:
- The Royal London Hospital
- Newham University Hospital
- Whipps Cross University Hospital
We provide specialist outpatient services at:
- The Royal London Hospital only
Our working hours are:
Monday to Friday 8:30 – 4:30pm
Inpatient Services at The Royal London, Whipps Cross and Newham
Acute Speech and Language Therapy provide services to all neonatal and paediatric hospital wards 0 -16 years. We offer assessment and management of pre-feeding and early communication, breastfeeding, bottle feeding and acquired eating, drinking and communication difficulties.
Specialist Outpatient Services at The Royal London
- Weekly Videofluoroscopic Swallow Study Clinic: providing objective diagnostic moving x-ray assessment of feeding, eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties.
- Weekly Gastroenterology led MDT Feeding Clinic: providing multi-disciplinary consultation and assessment for management of chronic feeding, eating and drinking difficulties.
- Weekly SLT Led Voice Clinic: providing assessment and management of voice disorders after ENT consultation.
Inpatient Services (children seen on wards)
Babies and children can develop communication or swallowing difficulties when they are acutely unwell or due to a chronic long term condition. SLT’s are specialists in assessment and management of feeding, eating, drinking, swallowing and communication difficulties.
We see babies and children on all inpatient wards.
Following assessment SLT’s use a range of techniques such as changing positioning, specialist teats, pacing or different food or drink textures to promote efficiency, safety and positive feeding experiences and provide therapeutic activities to facilitate and rehabilitate swallowing and/or communication difficulties.
Information for professionals
Acute Paediatric Speech and Language Therapy (for specific enquiries or discussion with SLTs)
Direct telephone number: 0203 594 1534
Acute Paediatric Speech and Language Therapy Team,
The Royal London Hospital,
Level 7, North Tower, Clinic 3, London, E1 1BB
Therapies and Play Secretaries contact details (for general enquiries about SLT appointments)
Direct telephone number: 0203 594 1521
Meet the team
- Clinical Lead SLT - Melanie Peck
- Highly Specialist SLT – Alexandra Connolly
- Highly Specialist SLT – Brenda Carty
- Specialist SLT – Emma O’Dwyer